Friday, May 30, 2008

Doctor & Running Again

Phew! First of all, let me just say that I love that I have health insurance. Getting hurt (or sick) really highlights how lucky I am to have health care that is very good and very reliable through my employer. It also highlights how big an issue it is for America that we don't have universal health care! Terrible.

Yesterday, I went to a sports medicine doctor b/c of the pain in my hip. The doctor's visit, the x-rays, and the prescription all cost only $35!!!!! Needless to say, I am very fortunate and I sincerely hope we can get a president in the white house who can fix the health care crisis that America is facing!

BUT . . . back to my hip. Dr. Roth told me that I have irritated my sciatic nerve, prescribed some anti-inflammitories and some physical therapy, and sent me on my way. He was very nice and though the visit took longer than I had expected (to be fair, I was a little late . . . ), it was a very pleasant experience, as doctors' visits go. He also said that I could run without worrying too much about any issues, as long as I wasn't in too much pain. He even gave me the go ahead to run my race on Sunday in the park!!

So, given the green light by Dr. Roth, I ran for a couple of minutes last night, getting just a short 2.5 miles in. Despite the brevity of the run, it felt great to get out again and to move. It had been too long since I had last run (see previous post). The best part of my running was . . . NO PAIN. And now, the next morning, I'm still pain free . . . so I'm hoping that I'll be ok.

I ran 16 miles last week before I hurt myself and I won't get more than 10 in this week, but I'll be able to run my race and continue my training without too much difficulty!

No comments: