Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Sore Hip

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I have sustained my first injury of the year . . .
On Saturday, I ran a really good 6.5 miler from my apartment on 181st Street down to the east side of Central Park. I felt great, had a good pace, and really enjoyed running from point A to point B (rather than running in a loop or an out or back . . . the run had a point).
BUT when I got to the park, after I had finished running I developed a major pain in my hip. That afternoon I couldn't walk without a limp and then on Sunday I had a big time limp as well. Monday (my normal day off) I tried to run a bit, but I wasn't able to get more than 3/4 of a mile in before I had to stop for pain.

I'm worried b/c I haven't been able to run much, but also b/c my running class starts today and I don't want to miss the first class, but I'm nervous about pushing myself too much if I'm hurt. So far today I haven't had much pain, but I don't want to ruin and forward progress I've had by running too soon. I'm going to make an appointment to see a Sports Medicine Doctor to see if I'm hurting myself too much.

I might still go down today to see if I feel like running, but I don't know.
More later.

1 comment:

laura said...

I don't want to unduly alarm you, but my philosophy is to treat any unusual soreness with rest. Last year I started to get soreness in my shins - just basic shin splints, so I decided to push through it and kept running. A few days and only a few miles later, I developed a limp and finally went to an orthopedist. Because I ran through the pain, I turned an easily cured shin splint into a stress fracture, and I was immobile for five weeks.

Now when I get soreness in my shins, I do active rest for at least three days (usually non-impact cardio like biking or elliptical) and use the RICE system. It gets me back to running much more quickly!