Friday, May 2, 2008

Finding the Time!


I ran last night. I got a good little three miler in, but I've been frustrated the last two weeks by how little I've been able to run. I'm reading this book The Competitive Runner's Handbook, and he is talking all about mileage goals and running 100 miles per week, and I'm looking at my calendar and realizing that I need to get to 20 miles/week by June first (one month away) and I've been getting frustrated. I get up at 6 am to get to work by 7:30 and then most days I'm not home until after 6pm. This leaves little time for running and I'm getting sick of it. So yesterday, I went for a little three mile run (it may have been more . . . in fact I know it was more, it could have been close to 3.5 or 4 . . .) and I was happy to be able to do that.

I started off just running for 30 minutes b/c the author of my running book has said a couple of times now how important it is just to get the days in. I think I agree. I am hoping that if I can get into the habit of running 5 times per week, then increasing the mileage won't be that hard. I just need to actually get the days in, and find the time. If I can run five three milers in a week, that's fifteen miles. From there it is not that hard to tack 1 mile onto two of those runs, and then turn the Saturday run into a 6 miler and BAM, I'm at my base. It's not that far off, but I'm still stressed about it nevertheless. Having people always asking me how the training's going helps motivate me to, so keep asking! That's what this blog is for after all.

After my run yesterday, Sara and I made turkey burgers. It was great. We made them from great ground turkey we got at the farmer's market, with spinach, red onion and rolls we also got from the farmer's market. Only the cheese and condiments didn't come from the market. It was delicious . . . not to mention concrete evidence that you can build an entire meal from ingredients produced in a sustainable way, but that is also local! I have no idea if the food was organic, but it was sustainable and we're pumping our money back into the local economy which is so much better than buying groceries from a huge chain who then sends the money to other states or countries. If it means that we can't buy bananas anymore, so be it. It's a better way to live. I know this sounds incredibly smug and self-righteous, but I can feel my carbon footprint getting smaller!

No comments: