Saturday, November 17, 2007

Sore Legs = Good Run ???

Well, my legs were still a bit sore from my soccer game on Wednesday. Yes - I know that's pathetic, but I'm really not used to sprinting like I did in the game. In any case, I have a race tomorrow in the park so I really wanted to go for a run today and I just felt like I'd take a medium length run and take my time . . . not rush. I ended up running for 40 minutes at like a 8:30-8:45 pace which isn't too bad. What's more important is that I felt really good on the run. My breathing was completely easy and even though my quads were a little sore, my legs felt strong and comfortable.

Today is a beautiful day too! I love clear, crisp fall days. The temperature in the Bronx right now is about 42 degrees and for the first time this season I had my cold weather gear on. I wore my running hat and gloves and my pants and my fleece. I actually kind of like running on cold days as long as it's not below 40 or anything.

My race tomorrow is my ninth of the year, which means assuming I cross the finish line I will have guaranteed my entry into the 2008 NYC Marathon. My time for the race doesn't matter, but as I've said earlier, I want to break an 8 minute/mile pace. This is standard for me, but my last race was 8:11 which is too slow.

I haven't been running much lately b/c I am having trouble finding the time. I have time after work most days at about 5 pm, but I really don't like running at that time of day during the late fall/ winter. One goal for myself right now is to find a way to get more miles in each week during the darker months. That will be a challenge. It's important that I get going on that though b/c I want to be ready to run the first of the NYC Half-Marathon Grand Prix races next year which I think is in March. I should be able to run a bunch next week though b/c of Thanksgiving. I'm going to Indianapolis for Thanksgiving and I'd like to get a run in each day of the break. Even if I only jog two miles on Friday (which is likely owing to probable over-eating on Thursday), I'd like to get something in each day.

Wish me luck on my race tomorrow!!

No comments: