Thursday, November 22, 2007

Drumstick Dash!


Happy Thanksgiving!! Well, I've started my Thanksgiving break off right, running a 4.5 mile race this morning in Indianapolis. The Drumstick Dash was a great little race in the Broad Ripple section of Indianapolis and it was a fun time.

It is strange running in a part of the country that isn't Central Park (is there any other part of the country? What lies West of the Hudson river?). Before the race today, there was a communal prayer! This would never happen at an NYRR race. Also, because this was Thanksgiving, people were all dressed up in costumes . . . including some people in "Indian" costumes! Ahh Indiana, the land of group prayer and racist costumes! I'm not really being fair, but it was just surprising b/c I would never see this stuff in Central Park.

I ran the race today in 35:41 which is just under an 8 min/mile pace, so it was fine. My left quad was hurting some yesterday on the flight out here and I was worried about it today. It slowed me down a bit on the 2nd and 3rd miles, but it wasn't too bad. The other thing that slowed me down was the fact that I ran the first mile in 7:15. There was no way I could keep that pace up and for miles 2 and 3 I slowed down a lot.

The other great thing about the race was that I got the BEST race T-Shirt from this race I have ever gotten! It is a long sleeve Brooks performance tee, all black with a funny Drumstick Dash graphic on the front. I'm pretty psyched about this shirt.

Overall it felt great to run this morning. It meant that I could not gorge myself or drink too much last night b/c I had to run today and it means that I can eat as much as I want today! I'm a little worried about my food journal today though. So far, I've been really good about keeping track of all my intake, but today with all of the snacking and eating, drinking, and making merry, I might have to gloss over some of the details . . . we'll see. Today will be a real test.

In any case, I hope to run tomorrow and Saturday as well to get some good miles in on vacation! Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: