Monday, November 5, 2007

New No Longer


Well my new shoes have finally been used! I went for a short little run today and it felt great. New shoes are always nice and my first run in a new pair of shoes always feels pretty good. That, coupled with the fact that I spent a long day doing CPR training at work today (from 9am - 4:15pm . . . so long . . . so boring!), made for a much needed bit of outside time. One odd thing was that I was running at dusk which I haven't really done all that much in the past. Since daylight savings time ended, however, it gets dark SUPER early which means that I'm either getting up early to run in the dark or running in the dark after work . . . either way it will dark. I really need to get some light colored running wear. Most of what I have to run in is all black . . . that's no good for night running!

I ran a little over 3 miles tonight at about an 8:30 pace which is alright . . . not great, but decent, especially considering that I haven't run in a week. I check my distance using mapmyrun.com which is not completely accurate, but is acceptably accurate. It's a decent website to check out if you run. I ran my 5 mile race a week ago at an 8:11 pace which is better. Ideally I am going to running short runs like this closer to a 7:00 or 7:30 pace, but it is still early in the YEAR OF THE MARATHON and I still have time to get a solid base down.

Marathon mania was still going strong today as well. Many of my friends and colleagues ran in the race yesterday and everyone at work was talking about the race, various people's times, etc. If I wasn't already super pumped about this year and the race that I'm preparing for, I am now! In addition, there was a section of the paper today that listed all of the people and their times if they finished under five hours. Next year that will be me and that will most likely be the only time that my name ever appears in the New York Times. In any case, all of the chat about the race was really exciting and to quote a friend of mine at work, "I have definitely have marathon-envy."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here is the answer to your seltzer question-

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=571345

it is just as good as flat water if it is plain (no sugar).

Now promise me you will get some reflective clothing to run in the dark.

Anonymous said...

hey bro - i look forward to continued updates about your BMs. yes, selzer is equally hydrating ... it just might make you belch and whizpop. maybe i will convince your lovely wife to train for a half-marathon with me once i live in nyc and am no longer an intern.

and listen to your mother - wear reflective clothing!! sheesh.