Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Official Start *Redux*


Well today was the second official start to my YEAR OF THE MARATHON. Today was the 37th running of the New York City marathon, so even though there are now fewer than 365 days until I run the New York City Marathon, today felt like a second official beginning.

I didn't get to run today and my new shoes still lay unworn in my closet. I did, however, help my fried Alec move. Moving a friend into a third story walk up is exercise enough for me for today. On the subway home from helping him, I saw lots of runners getting home, having completed today's race and I really got excited for this time next year (and hopefully every year from now on) when I will have just completed the marathon.

I also bought my YEAR OF THE MARATHON journal today. It is a red composition style notebook (as pictured above). I will use this book to record all sorts of information pertinent to my year. I will record everything that I eat and drink all year long. I will also take note of all exercise, all BMs (strange as this may sound . . . read on for further explanation), all intake (both solid and liquid), and all sorts of other things. I hope to use this to eat better and to become healthier this year. For instance, I don't drink enough water and I drink too much coffee . . . I hope to switch that. Which reminds me of a question. Does seltzer count as water? Is carbonated water (with no additives or sugar in it) as hydrating as still water? Does anyone know?

In addition, I realized that yesterday I missed two important goals in my YEAR OF THE MARATHON. I have listed them below:
Goal 6 - Run the NYC Half-Marathon Grand Prix. This is a series of five half marathons (one in each borough) run over the course of the year.
Goal 7 - Become more regular (see above). And by regular I don't mean normal, or less strange. You know what I mean.

Oh! One more thing. Today is also coincidentally another interesting day in "YEAR OF" land. Today is 11/4/07. One year from today is the 2008 Presidential election which will determine who succeeds George "Dubya" Bush as president. I hope it is Barack Obama . . . though any democrat will do!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thomas, just a little Too Much Information. Oh well, I guess I can monitor when all three of my sons poop.