Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Shoes

Having run over 330 miles on my old pair of running shoes, I decided that it was time to get another pair. Most people suggest that you switch to new shoes after anywhere from 300-500 miles on one pair. Since I'm sort of a heavy guy I decided that I'd stay on the lowish end of that range. But I'm not just going to stop using the old shoes all at once. I am going to slowly break in my new shoes so that I don't get blisters or anything from them. For instance, last night I had my speed class and since it's a harder workout, I decided I'd wear my old shoes. Today, however, I was only running an easy four miles, so I decided it would be a good first day to begin to wear in my new shoes. This Saturday I'm running 13 miles and I think my old shoes still have enough cushioning to last that long and my feet are really comfortable in them so I'll wear them instead of risking bad foot issues in new shoes. In the end I think I'll most likely end up putting close to 375 or 400 miles on the old shoes as I phase the new ones in.

I went with the same exact shoe, Asics Gel 2130s. I like them and they support my feet well. I haven't had any shin or knee pain in these shoes at all (knock on wood!).

Today's short four miler (actually closer to 4.5) was good. It was the same run that I did a week ago today and I felt like crap last week and this week I shaved four minutes off my time, running sub eights. I almost never run faster than 8 minute miles during the week. This is a good sign! I'm feeling good and looking forward to my long run this weekend.

No comments: