Sunday, July 13, 2008

Park to Park - 10K


Today was my second 10K race ever. A 10K is 6.2 miles, and today's race was the second half of the Naples/New York Park to Park race. The first half is run early June each year in Naples, Italy, and the second half is run in NYC in July. We took the full 6.2 mile loop of the park today and though it was a little hot and muggy, I felt really pretty good about my effort.

I ended up finishing in 47:56 which translates to about a 7:43 pace per mile. I was hoping to run at about this pace and I think I could have even run faster except for the fact that the first mile was VERY slow due to a crowded race and people who were not corralled properly.

In any case, I felt really good about my run today. My last 10k race I ran in over 50 minutes at about an 8:04 pace . . . so this is certainly an improvement over that. I finished strong and had a little juice leftover, so I wish I had pushed a bit more during the race itself.

Next weekend I have a 4 mile race. I have gotten quite familiar with the 4 mile distance at this point and my goal is to break a 7:30 pace for the race next week!

I'm now done with week 2, the marathon is 16 weeks from today!!

No comments: