Saturday, July 19, 2008

300 Miles & a PR!!!

Saturday was a BIG day in my running. I ran a race in central park . . . actually it was the Race for Central Park, a 4 mile race that was my sixth of the year. I also hit the 300 mile mark for the Year of the Marathon upon completion of the race.

In addition, in this race I set a personal record on time for the 4 mile distance. My previous record for the 4 mile race was a 7:40 pace . . . the first race I ever ran. On Saturday, I was able to destroy that record, running at a 7:23 average pace and completing the race in under 30 minutes! I was really excited! After the race I saw Bob Glover, who is the author of my running book and the head coach of my running class, and told him that his book and class helped me set a PR. He didn't really care at all . . . but I was practically skipping home after the race b/c I was so pumped to run so well. I feel great that my running and focus over the last few months is really paying off. It's also VERY gratifying to work hard towards a goal that you've set (breaking 30 minutes for a 4 miler) and reaching it. Now I can set new goals!

Saturday night I went out to Brooklyn to celebrate my friend Alec's departure from the city . . . not really to celebrate his departure . . . really to wish him well . . . and then today I ran a nice easy, four mile run up the west side. It was hot and humid, but I felt good today.

Next week is an easier week. My long run is back down to 8 miles and I have no race, so I'm looking forward to a little bit of recovery in preparation for the following week when I run 13 miles for my long run!!

As I mentioned earlier, Saturday's race was my sixth of 2008, meaning that I have to only run three more races this year in order to guarantee my entry into the NYC marathon for 2009! I'm almost there.

1 comment:

Sean Dagony-Clark said...

You rock, dude! Congrats on the PR! I've been keeping up with running too. Not nearly up to your distance or speed yet, but I'm doing almost 10 minute miles with a run/walk regimen for about 4 miles. At this point I'm just aiming to be running for about 60 minutes by the end of the summer. Baby steps and all...

Do you and Sarah want to get dinner sometime this week?

And how's your serve?

-SDC