Saturday, August 2, 2008

Lucky 13!

Today I ran further than I ever have before (get used to this . . . it will happen a number of times between now and November 2). Thirteen miles was the goal for today and I decided for this that I would run with the NYRR Long Training run. They set up the park just like they would for a race, give you water, food, a number, and pacing guides, and you can get a long run in with support!

I was really nervous going into today's run b/c the last long run I did was 10 miles and I was hurting on that day. I ran in the middle of the heat wave and I ran during the hottest part of the day that day.

Today, however, was much better. I ended up running 13 easily, and ended up with something left in the tank!! I ran about a 8:50 pace which is just slightly faster than my original goal of running nines, but I felt that I could've gone even faster (or run further). By mile eleven I was feeling great, and even considered going for 16 miles. But the last two miles actually ended up being a bit harder . . . giving me some slight knee and hip pain. I'm ok now, but those last two miles made my legs sore.

I didn't want to push myself too much this early and given my hip pain recently I didn't feel that going for 16 was all that wise, but I really felt great today and I look forward to my next long run of 15 miles! I'm getting there . . .

No comments: