Thursday, September 4, 2008

Floating Along

What a week. On Sunday night I went out to dinner with Sara's family and when I woke up Monday, we were all sick. On Monday my temperature reached 102 degrees and I was stuck in the terrible purgatory between really hot and freezing cold. It was one of three things that made me sick on Monday:
(a) Sunday night's Indian food
(b) Hanging out with a sick 10 month old
(c) The onset of the Republican National Convention.

My money's on (c).

In any case I was feeling better Tuesday morning, so I decided that I'd go on the Senior Leadership Retreat as planned. We were to go white water rafting on the Delaware River about two hours north of NYC. It was a blast. I was able to float along down the river with some great kids from the class of 2009 and really enjoy myself.

While with the kids I was able to get a short 4 miler in, but I didn't feel great b/c it was the day after my temp was so high. I think that the physical illness was aggravated by my anxiousness about the fact that the Republicans were nominating a self-declared "pit-bull w/ lipstick" to be their Vice-Presidential nominee while I was out of touch with any mainstream media.

On Wednesday, I was able to get a quick 5 miler in after returning home, and today I ran a nice 6 at a decent pace. Even though I've been getting all of my miles in, lately I feel like I've just been floating along . . . I have been squeezing my runs in when I can instead of really taking time to stretch, warm up, and focus on good runs. I haven't been planning and I've been pacing myself indiscriminately. I'm worried that I'm slowing down a bit. I'm hoping I can focus a bit more on getting in some faster tempo runs and not worry about pace so much on the 6s and long runs.

Tomorrow is the first day of school.

No comments: