Saturday, April 19, 2008

Spring has Sprung in NYC


Wow!! What a week in New York. It has been warm and sunny all week long . . . which is the greatest! At school, this means that the kids are all wearing next to nothing (not so great!) and sitting outside playing frisbee, lacrosse, soccer, etc. I have mixed feelings about the spring fever the kids at Riverdale get this time of year, but it's hard to stay mad or annoyed when the weather is so nice. What's made this week even better, though, is the fact that I get to spend large chunks of time outside every day with the tennis team. This has contributed to my tan and to my overall good mood. I have been loving the weather! Incredible.

Speaking of the tennis team, we are now 7-0 (the only undefeated varsity team in the school) and we are on a roll. I'm psyched for the boys on the team and we're all having a great season! The extra time outside is great and as the days get longer, and the weather nicer, I get happier and happier that I decided to coach again this year.

Today the weather has continued to be spectacular and I took a short run up to the farmer's market to do a little shopping. I'm still pretty sore from my little exercises the other day, so I took a slow jog for a little over two miles at a leisurely 9 min/mile pace up to the market and bought fresh bread, cheese, turkey sausage, apples, onions and some beautiful oyster mushrooms. I can't wait to dig into the mushrooms. It was really nice to have a short, easy jog to get a little of the sore out (it seems to have worked) and I'm really excited for my race tomorrow. I woke up this morning really dehydrated, so I'm drinking tons of water today and taking it easy so that I can really run well tomorrow and finish in under 32 minutes! I really love the Run for the Parks each April b/c it was the first race that I ever ran with NYRR and tomorrow will be my third time running it. I'm hoping for the weather to continue. Sara and I are going to take it easy today, maybe go for a walk in the park, and really enjoy the weekend.

Last night, we kicked the weekend off right by ordering a pizza and taking it, along with a few beers, up to the roof deck of our apartment building. At about 7:30 the sun was setting and we were a slice or two into the pizza and in heaven. It was incredible. For any of you who haven't yet visited our roof, there's nothing better than going up there with a beer or a glass of wine on a beautiful spring evening and watching the sun set. Wow.