Friday, April 18, 2008

Sore is Good

Well, it's been a few days since I last posted, but I'm pleased to say that it's only Friday and I've already run 6.25 miles this week (at least). I'll do an easy run on Saturday and then I have my race on Sunday. I'm still a little worried about the race b/c I haven't been running that much and I want to keep my races under 8 min/mile, but we'll see.

Yesterday (Thursday) I ran a quick quarter mile with the tennis team, but then did a bunch of plio-type exercises with some kids from the track team. I worked on abs, quads, and did some push ups. The quad stuff though, really got my legs sore, so when I went home and decided to go for a run, I realized that I was more tired and sorer than I had expected. Yesterday I barely legged out three miles and it was an interesting experience in that for the first time in recent memory, the limiting factor for my run was my leg strength, not my breathing. My breathing was fine for the whole run, which felt great. Today, I'm pretty sore, but I feel great. I like being able to feel the results of the work I did yesterday and though I know it's not entirely true, there's something satisfying about the "no pain, no gain" style of training.

I'm currently reading a book called "The Competitive Runner's Handbook," which was given me by Laura and Avi and I'm finding their insights really helpful and interesting. I'm really excited for this summer when I'll be able to run most days and then work out on my off days. I'm also going to sit on the roof most days and read. My goal for the summer is to train well, get tan, and read lots of books! I can't wait!

No comments: