Sunday, October 19, 2008

2 weeks to go & Last Long Run!!!

Wow! Here we are. Just two weeks to go until Marathon Sunday!
I can't believe that I'm almost there. After months of training and all of the long runs and short runs and medium runs and the early mornings and the late nights . . . I'm almost there.
Today I ran the last long-ish run of my training, 15 miles. They say ("they" being the nebulous marathon gods) that the bare minimum one can do in terms of long runs is two 18 mile runs over the course of the training in order to be adequately prepared. I ran one 18 miler, two 20 milers, and one 21 miler. This is in addition to today's 15 miler. I think at this point I'm pretty well prepared. I'm feeling really good.
Today's run was particularly great b/c I ran it at an 8:03 pace. This is by far the FASTEST I've ever run a long run, or any run over 8 miles for that matter. I think things are falling into place.
I used today's run as something of a dress rehearsal for the marathon itself. I wore the shoes I'm going to wear, as well as the same shirt, shorts and hat.
Now I'm just down to tapering. This week I ran 33 miles. Next week I'm down to 24. The following week I run 14 + the marathon. I am getting so pumped!

The other thing that has gotten me excited is that I received my entry card with my official marathon number on it. I'm going to be wearing number 22054, will be in Wave 2 (of three), and I'll be on the Blue Starting Line in corral D. All this means that I'm right in the middle of the pack in essence, which is right where I belong. For those of you who can't come to NYC to watch my triumphant day, you can track my progress online at www.ingnycmarathon.com. Just enter my name or my bib number (22054) and you can see my split times at every 5k (or thereabouts).

Almost there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't we get to see a photo of the race day attire?